NaCTSO, in cooperation with AIC, have created a 5-point plan to follow whenever securing fertiliser:
1. Wherever possible use a Fertiliser Industry Assurance Scheme (FIAS) approved supplier.
2. Wherever possible keep in a secure area such as a building or sheeted away from public view.
3. Carry out regular stock checks and report any loss to the police immediately (call 101).
4. Avoid leaving fertiliser in a field overnight – never leave fertiliser in a field for a long period of time.
5. Remember it is illegal to sell ammonium nitrate without the correct documentation.
Well-maintained properties are less interesting to criminals. If a property is kept in good repair, with farmyard rubbish and debris cleared away, it is easier to identify anything out of place.
It is wise to keep a list of useful phone numbers (such as the local police and neighbouring farmers), so that they can quickly be contacted if the need arises.